Females In Football

Females In Football Awards


By Paul Callaghan

Saturday night at the Raumati South Memorial Hall was a celebration of all the good things about female football on the Kapiti Coast. And the inaugural Females in Football Awards (FIFAs) showed what a lot of good things there are.

The evening was hosted by Steve Hearn, Director of Coaching at the Horowhenua Kapiti Girls’ Academy, Coach of Kapiti College’s 1st XI Girls’ team, Coach of Waikanae Women’s Premier team and a driving force behind the success of women’s football in Kapiti. Hearn’s success in creating pathways for young women to grow as footballers was obvious all night.

Beginning with the 9th Grade girls, coached by Sophie Abbott of the Premier team, awards went to Hannah Stroud, Ayla Garber and Leah Marsden. The 11th graders, coached by Tessa Hunt also of the Prems, gave awards to Kerryn Penn, Gabby Matheson and Lindsay Wakem. The 13th grade, coached by Hearn, had awards for Michaela Walker, Hannah Furfie and Grace Wynne-Evans.

The Kapiti College Awards went to Rebecca Foster (Junior Player of the Year), Bonnie Laws (Senior Player), Cara Chung (Sportsperson and Patchett Trophy) and Ngaire Dolman (Most Improved). Kapiti College played in the Prem One competition this year and also won a Super Six Tournament in Hastings for the first time.

Next up were the Waikanae Women’s Reserves. After a fantastic season which saw them gain promotion to Division Two of the Wellington League and win the Divisional Cup, the Mark Hunt coached team had awards for Ngaire Dolman (Player), Nikita Ward (Sportsperson) and Katie O’Brien (Most Improved).

The Premier team awards went to Samantha Reading (Senior Player), Miranda Williams-Gray (Junior Player), Mel Lovie (Sportsperson) and Sophie Abbott (Most Improved). The Premier team were runners up in their competition for the second year running.

Overall awards for the Footballer of the Year went to Sasha Haskell (Senior) and Ngaire Dolman (Junior).

The award for Outstanding Contribution to Kapiti Women’s Football went to Sophie Abbott.


Waikanae Win


By Paul Callaghan

Waikanae 5 Petone 0 

There’s an old sporting cliché that a good team can win even when they don’t play very well. That certainly seemed true at Jim Cooke Park on Sunday as Waikanae Premiers beat an understrength Petone team 5-0.

Petone were only able field nine players for the match and perhaps, for the first half at least, the Waikanae Women forgot they still had to play football to beat them. In credit to the Petone team they came out full of spirit and determined not let their short numbers be an excuse. In fact it was only their lack of players up front that stopped them taking the lead in the early stages after some determined clearances from their own end.

In the tenth minute Sam Reading caught a pass on the volley at the edge of the box and smashed it past the Petone goalkeeper to open the scoring. Unfortunately, that seemed to be the end of Waikanae’s inventiveness for the next half an hour as they repeatedly shot wide, failed to recover goal kicks and fell for off-side trap after off-side trap.

A half time rev-up from coach Steve Hearn saw Waikanae come out in better form for the second half. Despite an early off-side Ngaire Dolman made things better with a great left foot shot to make it 2-0 in the 48th minute. More pressure from Waikanae led to a Petone foul in the box and Tessa Hunt stepped up to slot the penalty. Hunt also took a lovely free kick a few minutes later which she lofted over the keeper to make it 4-0.

A Waikanae corner, with ten to go, was cleared by Petone but only as far as Josie Callaghan who put a great long ball through for Dolman to claim her second of the day.


Waikanae Women Go Down Fighting


By Paul Callaghan
Waikanae Women lost the first match of their premiership Divisional Cup against University at Island Bay on Sunday. However, the makeshift team, missing five regular starters and playing without substitutes, battled hard to keep the score to a very respectable 2-1.
The early pressure was mostly from University, but Waikanae kept cool and really showed the team spirit that has seen them play so well all season. Great counter attacking runs from Bailey Te Maipi, Ngaire Dolman and Sam Reading kept Waikanae in the game and superb defence from twins Lucy and Bonnie Laws, Josie Callaghan, Miranda Williams-Grey and Tessa Hunt stopped any penetration. Stand in goalkeeper Jo Sullivan played with great confidence to keep a clean sheet until just before half time when University were finally able to capitalise on their pressure to go into the break at 1-0.
In the second half, Waikanae came out blazing and really put the older University team under pressure. Captain Sara Thomas was tireless in midfield and Sara Abbott was very quick on the wing before Reading lobbed a ball from 25 metres that beat the University goalie to make it one all.
University quickly struck back from a corner to make it 2-1 but Waikanae never once let their heads drop. Bonnie Laws was outstanding in the second half and well deserved her player of the day accolade at the end.
Also on Sunday, the Reserve team showed the depth of women’s football in Waikanae by beating Stop Out 6-1. This strong result was despite having given up four players to the Premier team to help with their shortages.


Waikanae Women Reserve Team Secure Promotion


By Paul Callaghan

Waikanae 5 Paekakariki 0

Waikanae Women’s reserve team secured their place in the second division for next season, with a five nil demolition of local rivals, Paekakariki , at Jim Cooke Park on Sunday.

From the first kick off the Waikanae team piled on the pressure with an almost impenetrable defence and some great running play from forwards Ngaire Dolman and Bailey Te Maipi. Dolman saw several shots go wide before making it 1-0 in the eighth minute. It wasn’t until two minutes after that the Waikanae goalkeeper got her hands on the ball for the first time.

Paekakariki had a better spell for the next few minutes but were unable to capitalise on a goal mouth scramble at the Waikanae end. A great run from wing Samantha Whaanga ended with a near perfect cross which Sarah Burke slotted calmly into the net to make it 2-0.

Paekakariki fought back and were unlucky when a long shot sailed over the Waikanae crossbar. A long ball forward was controlled by Dolman on the edge of the box and then lobbed over the Paekakariki goalie to make it 3-0. Two minutes later Dolman dispossessed the defence to claim her hat trick and make it 4-0. Despite several chances for Waikanae the score remained the same at the break.

In the second half Paekakariki came out firing but although they played much better football they still lacked the finishing touch. A penalty, early in the half, hit straight at the Waikanae goalkeeper, summed up Paekakariki’s luck for the day.

There were several more chances for Waikanae during the half but it wasn’t until five minutes before the end that Te Maipi picked up a pass inside the area and slotted it home for the final score of 5-0.



Waikanae Women Premiership Runners Up


By Paul Callaghan

Waikanae Women’s Premier Division football team made sure of their position as Premiership runners up with a 4-2 win over Tawa at Jim Cooke Park on Sunday. The women also confirmed their place as Kapiti’s most successful football team.

Waikanae applied the pressure early on with a great pass from wing Sophie Abbot finding striker Raven McCall. McCall was denied by the Tawa defence but it seemed only a matter of time before the Waikanae team exerted their dominance. However an injury to a Tawa attacker delayed play for some time and it knocked the concentration of Waikanae. Barely two minutes after the injury break, Waikanae conceded a goal to put some spirit into a Tawa team at the other end of the divisional ladder.

Despite shots from Abbott, McCall and Tessa Hunt and some good interplay between the defence and midfield, Waikanae didn’t look like the team they have been all season until just before halftime. A great through ball from Hunt found McCall in space. McCall sidestepped the Tawa defenders and calmly slotted the ball past the goalkeeper to make it 1-1 going into the break.

Waikanae were a different team coming out for the second half. Despite conceding an early corner, Waikanae pushed back and when the Tawa goalkeeper ran out to challenge on the edge of the box, McCall lobbed the ball over her to make it 2-1. McCall took her hat trick with a long range shot that bounced out of the keeper’s hands to make it 3-1. A blasting shot from Mel Lovie after a Waikanae corner made it 4-1. Tawa kept fighting and managed to get another goal for the final score of 4-2.

In the Third Division, Waikanae overcame Porirua City 4-3 in a tight match that sees them second in their division. Their final round robin game next against Paekakariki is their chance to confirm promotion for next season. 


Waikanae Lose In the Wind


By Paul Callaghan

Waikanae 0 Stop Out 1 

Waikanae Women’s football team saw their hopes of winning the Premier Division blown away in Sunday’s windswept match at Jim Cooke Park. Facing undefeated division leader Stop Out, Waikanae Women succumbed to an eighth minute goal mouth scramble to lose 1-0.

Waikanae started the match strongly, pressing forward and forcing Stop Out into conceding an early free kick. Stop Out pushed back and had a couple of chances that were dealt with easily by goalkeeper Sasha Haskell. An attacking throw-in lead to the Stop Out goal which had a hint of being kicked out of Haskell’s hands.

Waikanae were probably the better team for the rest of the half with strong runs by Raven McCall, Sophie Abbott and Bonnie Laws and some good work in midfield from Sam Reading. It was end to end football for much of the game with neither team being able to penetrate to the net.

Substitute Ngaire Dolman, having scored a goal in the earlier Division Three match, came on to the right wing towards the end of the half in a player of the day performance but not even the confidence of the youngster could break Stop Out’s defence.

The second half saw Waikanae playing with the wind but unable to capitalise as Stop Out’s physical attitude saw them prefer to concede numerous free kicks. Dolman, McCall and Reading all saw shots go wide while Hunt had a thundering long shot smack off the crossbar.

In the Third Division match played earlier at Weka Park, Waikanae beat another Stop Out team 3-2 with goals to Dolman, Fiona O’Walter and Erin Whitten. The lower division team are well placed to finish in the top two and gain promotion for next season. The premiers need to beat Tawa at home next week to confirm their position as runners up.


Waikanae Take Win Under Lights


By Paul Callaghan

Waikanae 2 Marist 0 

Waikanae Women’s premier division football team shrugged off a freezing cold, late start on Sunday to beat a game Marist side 2-0. Playing under the floodlights at Te Whaea artificial turf in Newtown for the first time this season Waikanae wasted no time in establishing their dominance. A very fast run by Sam Reading after Waikanae had dispossessed Marist from the kick off, saw them go 1-0 up in the first minute.

From there the game settled to a midfield tussle interspersed with some great runs from the Waikanae wings, Sophie Abbot and Bonnie Laws. Striker Raven McCall had several shots despite struggling with a knee injury but couldn’t quite find the Marist net. Marist fought back bravely but were unable to get past the staunch defence of Mel Lovie, Kaz Wildbore, Josie Callaghan and Miranda Williams-Grey.

In the second half, Abbot turned on the fancy footwork and was able to get past the defence time after time only to find the Marist goalkeeper alert. Abbot also supplied some great through balls to McCall and Tessa Hunt, but it took around twenty minutes of the half before Hunt was able to celebrate her 17th birthday with her eighteenth goal of the season.

Marist never gave up trying but their shots at the Waikanae goal lacked any real sting due to the pressure of the hustling Waikanae defence.

With only two games left to play in their season, the Premier team are just six points behind competition leaders Stop Out, who they should face at home next week, weather permitting.

In the third division game a strong attacking effort saw Waikanae defeat Western Suburbs 7-2 to stake a strong claim for promotion with just three games remaining. Both teams are currently third in their respective divisions and the season end could easily come down to goal difference.  


Waikanae Rampant In The Rain


By Paul Callaghan

Waikanae Premier 11 Petone 0 

A howling Hutt Valley wind and horizontal rain couldn’t stop Waikanae Women’s Premier team from totally overwhelming Petone at Seaview on Sunday. In their most dominant performance of the season, the Kapiti women scored eleven goals without allowing Petone to respond.

Playing into the wind for the first half Waikanae took a while to get on target, missing a couple of early chances. Despite the elements in their faces the Waikanae women dominated territory and possession. Strong play in midfield from Holly Graves and Sam Reading, and a standout performance on the wing from Jo Sullivan set up strikers Tessa Hunt and Raven McCall several times before McCall was able to slot her first goal for her new club. The dominance of Waikanae was so strong that Petone made only their second foray into the Waikanae half in the 32nd minute. With less than ten minutes to go in the half McCall took the ball in the centre circle and ran around three defenders before taking her second of the day. A lovely pass from Hunt gave McCall her hat trick just before half time.

A few minutes into the second half left wing Sophie Abbott met a cross in the box to make it 4-0. Then McCall floated in a cross that Hunt snapped into the net. Another run from McCall set up Hunt for her second. Graves thumped a long pass into the box that bounced over the keeper to make it 7-0. Mel Lovie, playing up front as Waikanae enjoyed themselves, outfoxed three defenders before making it 8-0. Lovie then set up McCall to make it nine. McCall took two more fine goals as the game wound down, to finish her player of the day performance with six for the day, a hat trick with each foot.

A depleted Reserves Team were beaten 6-2 in Division three after being reduced to nine players by injury.


Waikanae Women Get Another Draw

Waikanae 1 Miramar Rangers 1

By Paul Callaghan 

A change of venues couldn’t bring a change of fortunes for the Waikanae Women’s Premier Division football team at Weka Park on Sunday. Despite dominating much of the game and playing some football to delight the large crowd, Waikanae had to settle for a 1-1 draw with Miramar Rangers.

The early play was filled with some great passing and some clever ball control but what was missing was the finishing touch. A rejigged Waikanae line up had changes to cover injury in defence, the absence of their captain in midfield and a new striker up front. Despite those changes they dominated much of the territory and had more than their share of the ball. In the 14th minute Waikanae gave away a free kick on the edge of the penalty box against the run of play. The Miramar striker was unstoppable as she sailed the ball over the defence to take a 1-0 lead.

The remainder of the half saw the Waikanae Women make a few mistakes under pressure which was relieved by young defenders Josie Callaghan, Grace Carroll and Miranda Williams-Gray who were able to send the ball forward but though the attacks often found new striker Raven McCall she was unable to mark her debut with a goal.

Waikanae came out for the second half fired up but were still missing that final touch. Playing catch up football made Waikanae attack more but there was an edge of desperation to their play that allowed Miramar to strike back often but not to find the net. A run by Bonnie Laws resulted in corner to Waikanae which Tessa Hunt sent into the box. A hand ball by two defenders at the same time resulted in a penalty which Hunt calmly slotted. Despite several close misses the game remained at 1-1.


Mud and Guts See Another Draw


By Paul Callaghan

Waikanae 0 Wellington North 0 

After three hours of football in thick mud, there is still nothing between the skills and determination of Waikanae Women and Wellington North. Despite the second goalless draw of the season between the two teams, spectators at Alex Moore Park in Johnsonville were treated to some very entertaining Premier Division football on Sunday.

The young women of both sides tried everything to get past each other. This end to end tussle was a showcase for the quality passing and tackling of the women's game.

In the first few minutes Waikanae made a good start mixing things up with short passing and long balls interspersed with some fine runs that were met with determined defence from North. The Norths goalkeeper was brought into the game early but Wellington were also able to break back. The defensive back four of Waikanae, with an average age of only sixteen, were able to deal with all the attacks, and goalkeeper Sasha Haskill, was only rarely called on to pick the ball up. Outside backs Miranda Williams-Gray and Grace Carroll regularly stopped North's probes and were able to feed wings Sophie Abbott and player of the day Bonnie Laws.

In the second half North dominated territory for long spells but were unable to break past the Waikanae defence and Waikanae's break outs were smothered at the other end. Midfielders Holly Graves and Sarah Thomas gave it their all, but the game remained scoreless to the end.

In the Third Division game Waikanae were also held to a draw, 1-1 with Naenae. Sarah Burke scored the goal,

With the Premier team lying second and the reserves lying third in their respective divisions it promises to be an exciting second half of the season with both teams vying for promotion.


Waikanae Prems Have an Off Day


By Paul Callaghan

Waikanae 1 University 3

Waikanae Women's hopes of winning the Premier Division took a knock at Karori on Sunday. Playing against University the Waikanae Women suffered their first defeat of the season going down 3-1.

From the first kick-off it was apparent that Waikanae were not up to their usual standards. They still made their customary early surge forward but it seemed that they lacked their usual pace and crisp passing. University's attacks seemed to leave Waikanae's midfield guessing but four minutes in a Waikanae shot was deflected out for a corner. Tessa Hunt curled the ball in and Holly Graves scrambled the ball past the goalie to go 1-0 up.

After scoring the goal there was little good news for Waikanae. Too often the Coast women stood and watched while University played occasionally good but often scrappy football. University's physical approach earned them a yellow card in the first half but it was a defensive lapse that gave them the equaliser on the half hour.

In the second half University made the most of the wind and kept Waikanae in their own half for much of the game. A long run from midfield made it 2-1 to varsity. A late lob into the Waikanae box was taken on the volley by a player coming back from an offside position, which the ref missed, and the final score was 3-1.

In the Third Division, Waikanae Reserves beat North Wellington 3-1 in Johnsonville. Player of the day, Ngaire Dolman, opened the scoring in the first half and set up Sara Burke for the third. Jess Geraghty was dominant in midfield and Fiona O'Walter added the second goal from the penalty spot. Coach Mark Hunt has high hopes of making the Second Division for 2012 with his young team.


Slog in a Bog Keeps Waikanae 2nd


By Paul Callaghan

Waikanae 0 Wellington North 0 

The rain had stopped but the pitch was left heavy at Jim Cooke Park, as Waikanae Women's Premier Division team ground out a nerve wracking nil all draw on Sunday.

Waikanae were feeling the effects of the change in weather even before they went out, judging by the number of sniffles and aches amongst the team, but they showed their enormous team pride and soldiered on regardless. Up against a team almost as young as they are, in third placed Wellington North, the Waikanae women were forced to work hard for every pass and to tackle like demons throughout the match.

The game began with Waikanae making their usual early probe which was returned with interest giving goalie Sasha Haskill her first touch of the game. From then on it was end to end stuff with neither side able to get past outstanding defence at both ends. Striker Tessa Hunt was subbed early, obviously more unwell than her team-mates, and Waikanae missed her penetrating skills.

Waikanae's back four of Josie Callaghan, Mel Lovie, Kaz Wildbore and Miranda Williams-Gray were in sensational form and worked tirelessly throughout the match, but it was another player of the day performance from Haskill that kept the score sheet blank.

The second half remained an arm wrestle, but Wellington were unable to capitalise on the favouring wind and a territorial advantage. The game threatened to deteriorate with a few flying elbows and tackles from behind but the referee swiftly took control and settled things down again.

The end of the match meant that the top three teams have all drawn with each other. Last week's opponents, Stop Out, returned to the top of the table after their 1-0 win put them equal with Waikanae on points, but with one less goal conceded. The second round of the competition promises to be a feast of football


Women Take it to the Wire


By Paul Callaghan

Waikanae 2 Stop Out 2 

In an emotional, skill packed and evenly fought game of superb football on Sunday, Waikanae Women maintained their lead in the Premier Division with a 2-2 draw away to Stop Out.

Playing with a typical Seaview wind for the first half, Waikanae made their now customary strong start to the game. Accurate, patient passing put Tessa Hunt away in the first two minutes with just the goalie to beat. Hunt took her time and calmly left footed the ball past the keeper.

From then on, this eagerly anticipated top of the table clash was a fine display of football as both sides showed excellent skills in both attack and defence. Using the wind, Waikanae were more often in the Stop Out box, but were unable to capitalise as the defenders conceded corner after corner.

At the other end, a stand out display from goalie Sasha Haskill kept the score at 1-0. There were great runs from Sophie Abbott, Jo Sullivan and Hunt, with midfielder Holly Graves adding some fine touches and defender Mel Lovie seemingly everywhere.

The second half began with early pressure from Stop Out forcing Haskill to work hard. Waikanae had some half chances but it was Stop Out who blocked a goal kick and scrambled the ball past Haskill for 1-1. Waikanae again fought hard until a long run from Stop Out midfield made it 2-1 to the home side with just eight minutes to go. Waikanae showed some wonderful team spirit and Lovie made a thundering run in the last minute to put Hunt clear. The striker's first effort was blocked by the goalie but Hunt picked up the rebound and equalised with just seconds remaining.

In the Third Division game Waikanae picked up their third win in a row with a 4-0 defeat of Petone Pulse.  


Waikanae Women Lead the Premier Division



By Paul Callaghan

Waikanae 4 Marist 1       1/5/11 

Waikanae Women's football team maintained their unbeaten record on Sunday to lead the Wellington Premier Division for the first time this year.

At home to Marist at Jim Cooke Park, Waikanae once again opened strongly. An early free kick in their own half, from Kaz Wildbore, let Tessa Hunt run in to score the first goal after two minutes. Then the Waikanae Women piled on the pressure with Hunt having a couple of chances go wide.

A long ball forward from Marist was skilfully controlled by Sophie Abbott and returned for Hunt to bag her second of the day. A few minutes later Hunt picked up her third hat-trick and twelfth goal of the season to make it 3-0.

Marist came out for the second half with a re-jigged line up and a more determined attitude that saw them threaten the Waikanae half, but rarely put goalkeeper Sasha Haskill under real pressure. Waikanae took their foot off the gas a little in the second half until Captain Sara Thomas laid on a great pass that Jess Geraghty shot back across the goalkeeper to make it 4-0. A Marist penalty, after the ball hit the hands of a Waikanae defender from a deflection just in front of her was converted to give the final score of 4-1.

In the Third Division game earlier on Sunday, Waikanae Women's Reserves took their second consecutive victory with a hard fought 1-0 over Wellington United Rubys.  


Waikanae Take Another Win


Waikanae 4 Tawa 0 -24/4/11

By Paul Callaghan

The Waikanae Women's Premier Division football team continued their unbeaten run on Sunday with a 4-0 victory over Tawa.

Playing on a windswept Kura Park in Titahi Bay, Waikanae were clinical from the kick off. A superb display of accurate passing led to Erin Whitton scoring the opening goal inside of two minutes. From there, the Waikanae team never looked like giving up their lead.

The first half was played almost entirely at the Tawa end, assisted in part by a strong wind. Tawa appeared to have few defensive options other than kicking the ball over the touchline. Waikanae were guilty of concentrating their efforts down the right flank for long periods of time. This tactic did pay off, however, when right winger, Bonnie Laws sent in a long cross that found left wing Sophie Abbott, who opened her goal scoring account for the season to make it 2-0.

As the half continued, Tawa were only able to get into the Waikanae end three or four times and the Waikanae defence, led by Kaz Wildbore, did not let goalie, Jo Sullivan, be troubled at all.

The second half saw Waikanae playing into the wind but still able to pick up regular corners as the Tawa defence became more desperate and physical. Fifteen minutes into the half Tessa Hunt, playing in midfield, sent a long ball down to striker Jess Geraghty. Geraghty's shot was deflected by the Tawa goalie but Laws picked up the rebound and slotted the ball home for 3-0.

A Tawa attack was stopped by the Waikanae defence and more great passing led to a strong run by Hunt who scored the final goal of the game. Tawa did press hard for the last few minutes but were still unable to get past the Waikanae defence.  


Fitter, Faster Waikanae Win Again

Premier vs Petone Pure 17/4/11

By Paul Callaghan

Waikanae Women's Premier Division football team made it three in a row on Sunday, with a 7-1 win over Petone Pure at Jim Cooke Park.

Waikanae dominated the game from the kick off, with three goal kicks and three corners at the Petone end in the first five minutes. The third corner caused a scramble in the Petone defence that led to an own goal and 1-0 to the hosts.

The quicker Waikanae women were caught off-side several times. Petone used the resulting free kicks to make rare excursions into the Waikanae half but could not maintain the pressure. Holly Graves burst out of midfield to take her second long range goal of the season and put Waikanae up by two.

After having a few shots go wide, Waikanae's striker, Tessa Hunt, made a strong run and blasted at the keeper. Hunt pounced on the rebound to make it 3-0. A few minutes later, Hunt outplayed the defence again to go into the break at 4-0.

The second half resumed with Waikanae piling on the pressure. Defender Mel Lovie was repeatedly unlucky going forward into opposition territory, as were wings Sophie Abbott and Erin Whiton. Substitute defender, Miranda William-Gray, dispossessed Petone and from her through ball Hunt claimed her second hat trick, and eighth goal, of the season.

A whole team lapse in concentration, when goalie Sasha Haskill miscued a free kick, allowed Petone to score a long range consolation goal, but Waikanae immediately hit back. From the restart Whiton took the ball forward and trickled it over the goal line to make it 6-1. Young substitute striker, Jess Geraghty, then took a fine floating shot from the edge of the box for the final honours of the game.



Premier v Mirimar  10/4/11

Waikanae Women Make it Two From Two
By Paul Callaghan
11:20 PM on April 10, 2011 

Waikanae Women's Premier football team made it two from two, in their first away match of the season at Centennial Park in Miramar on Sunday.
Up against a rebuilding Miramar team, the young Waikanae Women showed they had all the skills to make this season another successful one. From the first kick off, when they quickly dispossessed Miramar to pile on the pressure, Waikanae played a game marked by patient build ups and accurate passing.
The first goal kick to Miramar went straight over the sideline and, from the resulting throw in, Captain Sara Thomas made it 1-0 to Waikanae, with a pearler of a goal from 25 metres after five minutes. From then on, Waikanae, assisted by the favouring wind, kept most of the play in the Miramar half. Stand-in Waikanae goalie, Jo Sullivan, wasn't even called on to make a save until twenty minutes into the game.
Waikanae's left winger, Sophie Abbott, made numerous probing runs and was unlucky several times not to find the net herself, but it was right wing Bonnie Laws who supplied the cross that found Tessa Hunt to make it 2-0 going into half-time.
With the wind against them, it was Waikanae's defensive back line that stood out in the second half. Miramar were able to lob the ball over the midfield but were unable to seriously threaten the goal line, thanks to some outstanding play by all four backs. 15 year old right back, Josie Callaghan, was awarded player of the day, but the coach's choice could have gone anywhere in the back line.
With ten minutes to go, midfielder Holly Graves took a cracking long range shot that sailed past the Miramar keeper to make it 3-0. Hunt and Abbot continued to attack the Miramar goal but the score remained at 3-0.


Premier v Uni  3/4/11

Waikanae Women's Premier Team Kicks Off New Season
By Paul Callaghan
The Kapiti Coast's most successful women's football team kicked off their new season with a closely fought win over University on Sunday. Waikanae Women, the Premier Division runners up in 2010, showed that they are still a force to be reckoned with in 2011.
Despite fielding an even younger team than last year, the Waikanae Women dug deep to overcome University 5-3 at Jim Cook Park.
An early goal to University brought a sterling response from the Waikanae Women. Good passing, a patient build-up and clinical finishing from Jo Sullivan saw the scores level at one all after four minutes. Two minutes later, Tessa Hunt opened her account for the season to give Waikanae a 2-1 lead.
In an exciting match played at high speed, there was little between the two teams for much of the first half until a long through ball split the Waikanae defence and University equalised. Waikanae responded well and a couple of minutes before half time Tessa Hunt scored a goal that the referee took an age to award.
After the break, with the score at 3-2 to Waikanae, both teams applied fierce pressure but University were unable to finish off numerous chances. Tessa Hunt broke the University defence to claim her hat trick before University fought back for another goal to bring the scores to 4-3. Tessa then made a thundering run which bamboozled the University goalie and Hunt claimed her fourth of the day. The final few minutes were heart stopping for the Waikanae coach, as University exerted their superior fitness and Waikanae goalkeeper, Sasha Haskill, had to leave the field with a calf injury. Jo Sullivan stepped between the sticks and made a fine save under pressure to keep the final score at 5-3 to Waikanae.